The Old Town Springs Park is located adjacent to the old Scott County Courthouse and Jail complex, and serves as the gateway to the New River Greenway and river access in downtown Huntsville.
The mini-park features benches, a picnic area, and an observation platform for viewing the waterfall at the Old Town Springs. Just over the hill, along Old Town Springs Road, is another picnic area and a public boat launch at New River, which is a major tributary of the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River.
When Scott County, Tenn. was formed in 1849, three areas were proposed for the county seat — farms along Buffalo Creek, Paint Rock Creek and modern-day Huntsville. The Huntsville site was chosen for several reasons, one of which was the natural spring that could serve the water needs of the town. It was here that 25 acres of land were purchased from George McDonald and Emanuel Phillips and the town was established.